Tennessee and Cape Cod Anniversary

Nate writes a post for once!:

From ages two to about nine, one of my dad's favorite things to say to me was "Nathan, even a freight train stops sometimes." This was because one of my favorite things to say was anything...anything that came into my head. I talked nonstop for approximately 2,500 days, stopping only to chew (that's right, I talked in my sleep every night too).

Now the same could be said of my dad--even a train stops eventually. Since graduating med school over 35 years ago he has worked nonstop to solve the cardiovascular problems of his patients, helping build eastern Tennessee's powerhouse cardiology group in the process. A couple of weeks ago Kathryn and I flew down to attend his retirement party in my hometown of Kingsport, TN. It was a great, swanky affair and a great pleasure to see my entire family. We took family pictures and enjoyed making my dad a rocking chair as a present.


SELFIE
Nathan teaching the girls how to skip rocks
The adorable twins, of course, Caitlin is climbing something

With one of our neices
The sun was extremely bright so excuse our
 weird faces, but we ate at my favorite restaurant. Pals

Kathryn and I also had our own milestone recently, our third wedding anniversary. We celebrated in three parts:

Part A: The Quest
The actual day of, we just went to dinner. I'd found a good looking Italian place in Fenway so we met after school/work and walked there together. It was was pretty cold and windy so I was relived to finally arrive, only to find they'd closed for renovations. As is abundantly clear now, I should have made a reservation. But it was a Monday in the early evening and the Sox were away so I thought it would be fine. From the false hope Fenway place we headed for another Italian place in the South End (via Uber). I'm not sure my excuse this time, but I didn't call ahead; we just went. The wait was 40 minutes and by this time we were hungry. So this time I called a third place and found a suitable Italian place just a ten minute walk away (yeah, we really wanted Italian). Finally, after retrieving cash a block away to meet their 1980s cash-only demands (seriously? you are a restaurant in 2015!), we ate.
We put a love lock on the fence near by Hynes
The cash only, but pretty tasty Italain place we finally ate at
Pretty anniversary gift

Part B: The Beach in Non-Beach Weather
During Marathon weekend we went to Cape Cod and stayed at a great B&B. We walked around a couple swamps, bird sanctuaries, and beautiful (cold) beaches looking at the colorful rocks. We also spent a good amount of time sitting around looking at what car we want to get now that our 2001 nissan sentra died an expensive death.

Part C: The Stories
Finally, last night we went to the Mass Mouth Story Telling Competition. About 15 storytellers had 5 minutes each to share their story on a variety of topics, from "power trip" to "nuts." It was great and we really enjoyed seeing people who have practiced and honed their skills to tell great stories--especially in contrast to the audience story time (read rant time).

Overall, life is good and it's spring. The End.

Enjoying the beach on the Cape



This was take 2, the first time Nathan made Kathryn get up here when he knew the phone was dead.
Needless to say the nearby tourists were pretty entertained by his cruel joke.

The beach had really cool rocks,
Nathan spent A LONG time looking at them

Minigolfing at the cape


Mini golf Koi

picture of the antique map I nearly made
Kathryn purchase for an insane amount of money


Our airbnb owner had 2 fun dogs so Kathryn could get her fix

BABY TURTLE

Cool turtle in one of the audobon societies we went to on the Cape

More beaching

This was super fun, a tandem bike.
A true test of how good of a partnership our marriage is after 3 years

Our tandem bike ride break



Comments

Popular Posts