Metamorphosis of the Butterfly- an object lesson on repentance





Isaiah 1:18 Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.


Last month, the theme of the young women lessons was the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  I taught a lesson on repentance being a continuous, daily process and happening slowly and resulting in a change of who we are.  To avoid the "5 Rs of Repentance" lesson they've heard countless times, I used the object lesson of the life of a Painted Lady butterfly and its metamorphosis process.  Turns out this process is much slower than I thought, so in the mean time I was released from YW, and I definitely got more attached to my little bugs than any of the girls, but I've really been amazed by watching this process!  Nathan can testify I've gotten pretty obsessed with them (Yes- they all have names: Gina, Sally, Mo, JoJo, Bobby. No- I can't tell which one is which)






Day 1- The day they arrived in the mail. Such Tiny little critters
March 16


March 17


March 21


March 24


March 25


March 25


March 25


March 28


March 28


March 29


March 31


March 31


April 1




April 2







April 7, SHINY!


I'm not exactly sure when they emerged, because we went out of town for the weekend.  But between April 18-21 they became butterflies!  I was so bummed I missed it and don't have any pictures! But here they are all grown up as real butterflies:
April 23

April 23, wings closed

April 23, wings open

April 23, the empty cocoons
It was so fun to see the whole process! I'm going to me letting them free this week and I'm gonna miss these little guys!


Alma 5:19  I say unto you, can ye look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? I say unto you, can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?

Comments

Popular Posts