IT'S SPRING- we can wear normal shoes instead of snowboots again!

AH, spring.  The first official day of Spring in Boston it was snowing and awful, but finally a few weeks later, the higher (read: not freezing) temps have set in and we can even see our back lawn as of 3 days ago!  In addition to the blessings of warmer temps, spring means April Fools day, which I totally took advantage of this year and played several tricks on Nathan. He fell asleep the night before on the couch, and I used that time to hijack his computer and phone. My personal favorite prank was how I "Cage-ified" his internet.  I added an extension to his google chrome browser that changed all the images to images of Nicholas Cage.  I didn't hear anything about it until after noon, when he asked if I was behind all the Nicholas Cage images, I feigned confusion and misunderstanding for a while before admitting that I was the mastermind. Apparently, he had to get the IT guy at work to fix it.  Here is the link to the extension for you to file away for next year.

On his phone I downloaded an app called iphoneception, that has a screen made to look the same as an iphone homescreen but when you tap on the app icons, they turn into kittens instead of opening. You can find the link here.  

Because he is an avid Arrested Development fan, I put a paper bag that says " Do not open, dead dove inside" in the fridge.  Lastly, I added purple dye to his toothbrush, which he didn't notice until he was spitting it out after his full 2 minute brush. I felt pretty proud, final April fools day tally Kathryn 4, Nathan 0. <Nathan Note: I pretended there was a spider on Kathryn and she freaked out so I really get at least one point>
My school's "spring" break was in early March (way before spring-when it was still freezing temps outside). I didn't really do anything special, just went into lab everyday.  It was nice not to have class to plan around though.  After this semester I'm done with all my classes, so it was a good taste of what life will be like starting this summer. One fun thing I did do was host a trivia night for the Graduate Women in Science and Engineering chapter at Boston University.  I serve as a board member for it and had fun planning and MC-ing it.  GWISE is something I've really enjoyed as a fun way to get to know grad students in different fields of science and engineering, and help facilitate success for women in our field.  I wrote this blog post about the activity for the BU GWISE blog. Another nerdy school-related thing I got to do was volunteer at the Museum of Science here in Boston for the Brain Awareness Day and help both children and adults with several activities to help them learn more about the brain and all its functions.  In addition to getting to see all the little boys and girls reactions when they got to touch a human brain, I got this awesome temporary tattoo. 
GWISE Trivia night.  Nate came to support, and for the Chipotle.
Neuron tattoo!

For the past three years I have been working with the young women, both in my current ward and our previous ward, and I recently got released.  It was the first time I have been released from a calling without knowing it was coming because a semester was ending or because I was moving, so it has been a bit of a new experience for me.  I was expecting to continue there for another while so it came as a surprise, and it has been a little sad, although it WILL be nice to have Wednesday nights free for the first time in years. I feel I still could've learned more from the girls or loved them more, or taught and helped them more. I have been helping with the transition to the new presidency and have felt grateful for that time to adjust and feel some closure, but realize that I don't think I could ever get to a point where I have learned everything I could've or been as awesome of a young women leader as I wanted. I guess the same has applied with all my callings, especially as a missionary when I felt like by the end of the year and a half I was finally getting the hang of how to really balance everything and be really good at it.  Anyway, now I am enjoying the time in transition between callings, which is really nice. 
One of my last night's with the Young Women :(
Throwing a birthday party for another leader
Some of the YW making brunch, gonna miss them!
This year for Easter we decided to have some friends over for Conference and for a big Easter Dinner.  It was really fun to spend the holiday hearing about Christ from amazing men and women in General Conference, and having a great time with great people and amazing food. We had chicken cordon bleu, funeral potatoes, deviled eggs, raspberry vinagerette salad, tasty sweet rolls, frog eye salad, and mini bundt carrot cakes.  (Luckily, I didn't have to make it all, we each pitched in.)  And the best part was that everyone else that came brought their cute kids.  



You better sit down for this, NATE IS COOKING.
He's making waffles for a General Conference brunch




We went a little wild with the decorations


SO ADORABLE! The hat is killer.
The whole bunch for Easter dinner.
I didn't get a chance to get a close up of the baby being held by the man in plaid,
but she is one of the most beautiful babies ever born!
Nathan proves a thrilling seat for this cute little girl

These cuties weren't over for dinner...
but since we are including pics of us with adorable little girls,
this was taken last week at a baptism.

Comments

Popular Posts