Nate wanted to call this post "Stories about how it's colder than Hell is hot"

A couple weeks after our christmas trip to Utah, my dad came to Boston for work, so we got to see him again!  He came during the freakishly cold week where it was -3 degrees one day though, so we weren't up for much exploring of the city.  Instead we did some fun indoor activities.  On the first night we went up to cambridge near MIT for some dinner and a movie- The Imitation Game.  I really liked the movie, mostly because I love Benedict Cumberbatch.  It's a true story about a socially awkward but genius code breaker during WWII in England working to break the German code they call the Enigma.



I obviously got more gutter balls than anything else,
the really sad part is how many I got when we put up bumpers on the second game
The next day we stayed here in Dorchester and went candlepin bowling, and out to our favorite Mexican restaurant down the street.  We played a board game (that dad creamed us in) and that night we went to Cambridge again for some a Comedy Sportz improv comedy show.  Nathan volunteered for one of their games and got us some free tickets!

Free SOCKS!
Candlepin Bowling- small pins, and balls, with 3 chances per turn.
WAY harder than regular bowling.

Nathan on the Comedy Sportz stage volunteering

Sunday morning he got to come to church with us before we dropped him off at the airport to go home.  Even though we'd just seen him for Christmas, it was really good to have him for company over the (really cold) weekend.



The next weekend we got to go on a ski trip with Nate's friend from high school, Katie and her boyfriend, Mark.  We went up to Sugarloaf Mountain in Maine, about 4 hours from here. On the drive up, we got pulled over at about midnight in a tiny town TWICE within 10 minutes for speeding.  The first time it was legit, we were going 15 over, but the second time we couldn't have been driving more than 30 MPH, but the signs were changing so much it was hard to keep track, (unbeknownst to us, a quarter mile back it had changed to a 25 zone.) Luckily, the officers in Maine are really nice and both gave us a warning, even though the second one saw in his system that we had just barely gotten a warning (I always wondered if they could see warnings... yup!).
Two warnings given 9 minutes apart

We were a bit unlucky to schedule it for the coldest day of the winter there, it got to -6 on one of the days we skied up in the mountains, and weather.com said with windchill it felt like -24.  It was literally the coldest I've ever been!!  My toes actually still feel a little tingly and numb from the whole experience a week later (I think they have mild frostbite.)  After skiing back to the apartment, I had to stand outside of it for a couple minutes massaging my fingers enough to feel for the key in my pocket and maneuver it to open the door. After that day though, it warmed up significantly, and Monday, when we skied again my app said it was 38 but felt like 25. YUP, that is like 50 degrees warmer!
Regaining finger function in the lodge between runs
 

I can say I've been pretty spoiled skiing in Utah and Wyoming my whole life, so it took a while to adjust to the icy slopes, but it was still a really fun trip.  Nate and I also binge watched a bunch of great movies one night that he won't want to admit watching, including Mean Girls, The Proposal, and Pitch Perfect <Nate Note: Kathryn watched, I cooked dinner and was just in the same room, <Kathryn Note: That's a blatant lie>>.  IT WAS AMAZING.  On Monday, on our way home we stopped in Lewiston, Maine, and had some great pizza there for dinner before finishing the rest of the trip.  

Now we are staying put in Boston for a few weeks and excited for some time to relax and get back into the swing of things in work and school. My classes started again last week so I am adjusting to a more rigid schedule and having to do homework again along with lab work as well as figuring out the ins and outs of each of my new classes.  I lightened my class load this semester, so it shouldn't be TOO bad.  Only 3 classes: Stats, Pharmacology, and Physiology.  I'm also making lots of headway on formulating my new lab project and getting it up and running, and preparing for my qualification exams in early June.

Our heat broke last week when we returned from our trip, so we've been wearing like 3 layers and using our oven to heat up the apartment to bearable temps. We're getting it fixed tomorrow. It's also supposed to blizzard this week for 40 hours straight. We've been lucky that it hasn't happened until now though! Hopefully it at least comes with the benefits of Boston storms- cancelled classes and working from home!


Comments

Popular Posts