NYC, A BAT, and 2 years of marriage

Since I am a first year student, I may never have the opportunity to actually take a spring break once I start working in a lab this summer, we decided to take advantage of my week off from classes and visit the second coolest big city on the East Coast (since we already live in the coolest one, of course).  It was kind of a last minute decision, but I have a super kind Great Aunt and Uncle that live on Long Island that let us stay for free, so we just decided to take a weekend trip to the N-Y-C.  It is only a 4 hour drive so no expensive train or plane tickets were involved!

We started the trip with a visit to the 9-11 memorial,  and shopping on Canal St. and Fifth Ave (two polar opposites, but both very fruitful). The next day we got a personal tour of the Met from a friend of Nate's who works there and it was incredible. I'm usually an in-and-out of the art museum kind of person, but when someone who actually knows a ton about it is guiding you around, it makes the whole thing a lot more exciting! We also went to the Cloisters, and saw a broadway musical, Once, which we both really liked. We spent our last day exploring Long Island with my Great Aunt and Uncle.  Despite my feet killing me from walking so much, we had a lot of fun and were glad to get away from school and work for a while.  I was in denial of the 5 papers (for the same freaking class, great planning professor!) and midterm I should have been doing that whole time, but I just busted my butt the next week, and it sucked, but it was worth it to take those few days off.

9-11 Memorial in NYC


A few days later, I had my worst nightmare come true.  I was sitting on our bed talking to Nate facing away from the door, when he suddenly says, "Kathryn, I'm going to tell you something and I need you to stay calm". So, of course, I freak out. He gets up to close our bedroom door and right outside of it I see a fluttering bat!  In true fashion of Crandall women, like my Grandma and Mom have both done when similar situations have occurred at our cabin, I screamed bloody murder and was terrified.  I literally have dreams about terrible stuff like this happening.  Anyway, the videos share the story better than I can, but in short, we were lucky, because it flew into a bowl, and then we just put a lid on it and opened it outside the window. [Note from Nate: we=me. Kathryn wasn't about to come within 15 feet of the bat.] (shucks, no videos because I couldn't get them to load, just take our word, it was freaky!)

Lastly, this past week was our 2 year anniversary.  We got married on April 6, but since that fell on Sunday, we just went out friday night.  I was in charge of planning it this year, so it was a little less awesome than last year's.  We started at Charlestown Navy Yard where we took a ferry while the sun was setting to Long Wharf.  You get off the boat, and Legal Sea Foods is right there.  So for those who know me well, you are like, why in the heck were you going to a seafood restaurant...mostly because I'm a super loving wife, and Nate has been wanting to go. I looked at the menu before making the reservation to make sure that they had non-seafood items that were acceptable.  They did, but I ended up getting a pretty mediocre salad, so don't get the salad!  I should've gone for the hamburger!  Anyway, Nate didn't ask the waiter for extra rolls again like I wanted, but we made up for it with the incredible Boston Cream Pie dessert (chill out, we didn't get the rum caramel sauce on it) and it was melt-in-your-mouth divine!  We loved it! [Note from Nate: I also got Kathryn to pet a live lobster while we were there and she loved that too.]
On the ferry to Legal Sea Foods


Happy after 2 years!
It was raining when we were going to go do something else (a surprise Nate originally planned for V-day, but it was snowing, so I still don't know what it is, thank you boston weather!) So instead, we just decided to go home and watch a movie from redbox, Ender's Game.  (Yes, it's only our second year and we are already lame enough for watching redbox movies on our couch. But my excuse is that we went to a broadway show a few weeks before instead of doing something expensive on our anniversary).  Nate got me some pretty tulips, which doesn't happen often so that was cute!  I can't believe it's been two years since we got married, but it has been so fun to build a life with Nate these past few years and I'm still crazy about that boy. [Note from Nate: aww.]

After that we've just enjoyed two days in a row of brunches, 1st with the YW and then with friends before watching General Conference. Like always it was amazing and rejuvenating to hear from the Prophet and Apostles again. I also included some pics of my latest cooking ventures, and Nate's too (we are trying this new thing where Nate chooses what food to eat, finds the recipe, and makes it all by himself.  I have to coax him because he really wants to never learn how to make anything so he never has to, his repetoire now involves steak and mango stir fry, (our best bites) and thai beef and jasmine rice.


Lime and coconut strawberry shortcake
homemade whole wheat rolls.
Despite being 100% whole wheat, they were really tasty!

Nate's mango and steak stir fry 




Comments

Popular Posts