Neuroscience Nerd Fest


This is the part of the brain I study, the hippocampus,
when imaged with different fluorescent molecules for different neurons
A few weeks ago I was able to go to a conference for school (Thanks BU for the $$) in Washington DC.  It is a HUGE conference where anyone who studies anything related to neuroscience comes.  I went once before when I was an undergraduate, but it was much more interesting now that I know more and am more involved in research. I recently joined a lab that studies epilepsy. Since most of my previous research and interest was neurodegeneration related, it was really good for me to go to a bunch of epilepsy posters and symposiums to learn more about it and the current research advances.  A lab member of mine was presenting, but I wasn't able to, so it was extra fun because it was all of the benefits of conference attending without any of the preparation and work.
There were 31,000 people there for the week long conference, and you get a fair amount of exercise going to the right room in the giant convention center at the right time, and exploring the rows and rows of poster presentations each day at the right time.  I felt like I got a good balance of epilepsy in the broad view, and the specifics of things related to my own research, and other random topics that I don't research but found interesting. They also had lots of career development and professional panel discussion and workshops to attend. It was an exhausting few days of 9 to 5 information flooding, but I really enjoyed it.

Lots of vendors were there, so I got some sweet SWAG
The ginormous poster session

The other benefit of attending was that I got to stay with my sister-in-law's family and spend time with them and see their awesome new home.  There's nothing better than hanging out with three super cute little girls that think you're awesome and keep telling you how pretty you are.  The constant hair-doing was a little painful, but mostly really cute.  One of the 5 yr old twins has started to use the word "literally" a lot, but not really in the correct context, so that was pretty hilarious, and now I've read a good portion of the wayside stories book that I still remember from my elementary school days.  

After one of the hair sessions, I had like 7 different hair things in my hair, but she is pretty dang good at braids for a 5 yr old!


unrelated recent photos:
AAAH, fall is ending, there are SO many leaves everywhere and it is starting to get FRIGID

My friend gave me these super cute measuring cups,
so of course, I had to put Llizi in them


I photoshopped this picture of a westie in our backyard
to try to convince Nate that it would be perfect

Comments

Popular Posts