Visiting Utah

After about 10 months in Boston, we finally flew back to Utah for a summer vacation to see my family.  Besides being in Argentina, where seeing family wasn't even permitted, I hadn't ever gone so long!  Ugh, I guess that what happens when you try to move to Boston and become real people.  We loved the trip though.  It was the perfect balance of doing stuff and relaxing, but mostly we just enjoyed being able to see everyone.  

We spent the first half of our week in Logan, so I got to sleep in my bed, sit on my part of the couch, eat at my favorite restaurants, see my Grandma, and of course, eat Mom's home cooked meals. Then the second part of the week we all went up to Park City for a few days.  In PC we did the alpine slide, alpine coaster, and mini golf. FYI, I beat Nate on the slide, (actually most people did), and lost horribly in the mini golf (not just to him). We also went sailing, unfortunately it was during the 2 hours of our entire trip where it was either storming or there was exactly zero wind.  It was still fun to learn how to sail and try it out.


One of my favorite parts of the trip was when we watched a bunch of home videos from my childhood as well as some from my mom's. We were pretty freaking cute kids. Brian and Danny, my two older brothers, were consistently in the same outfits (Batman and Robin) for the first few years of my life.  One of my favorite parts was when my mom had made this pretty amazing cake for Danny's birthday you can see Brian dipping his fingers into the frosting and my mom telling him not to.  The next video is at Brian's birthday, a month later, and the exact same thing happens again. He was probably about 5, so he definitely knew better, he just really liked frosting.

On Friday night, we went back to Ogden, where Danny now lives, and were able to see him perform in a play, which he did great in. He had done plays since college and has been rehearsing for the last few months with this along with working full time. Laura, my sister, said really loudly "It's Danny!" on one of his entrances which drew some attention and was pretty funny. 
Saturday was also great because we were able to go to the wedding of the couple that set Nate and I up on our first date.  Usually when we tell people how we met, they ask if the couple that set us up also got married, and we've always had to answer no.  Now we don't have to, we are so happy for them!



We also got to see some other Utah friends, including my neighbor, Nate's mission buddy, and my college roomies.

Dad in front of the MIT building (it says that on it but it's hard to see)
We flew home Sunday, and then Monday night my Dad flew in to Boston. He had some business up in Maine to do, so we got to spend all of Tuesday, and then Saturday with him. It was fun to him come see us here too, and we did several Boston-y things. He actually went to MIT for undergrad, so I got to see his old campus and building where he studied, and I got to show him my lab at school, plus we went to a Red Sox Game (one that they actually won), and to the Bodies exhibit at Faneuil Hall.  
GO RED SOX! (We Won!)


Bodies exhibit

 The following week I started my Pfizer internship that runs for 7 weeks.  It is part of my program because I am doing an emphasis in Pharmacology. So far it's only my first week but I'm really enjoying it. Besides learning all about the immune system at work, which is what my project is related to, I've also been learning a lot about the game of soccer from Nate. (You think I would've learned from the many years I played for the city team as a kid, nope).  We've been following the World Cup closely and I am hoping Argentina wins! 


I also had a birthday, and a party to celebrate it! I've included pics of the fancy cake I made for myself. I haven't had one of those now for quite a few years, so it was fun to have friends over, and lots of tasty food.

Comments

Popular Posts