The Cook and the King

So we haven't written in a long time because we haven't had any of those, "we-should-blog-about-this" moments.  Maybe that should be a sign we should do more exciting things... but since that hasn't happened yet, I'll just give a little update.

When we got married we were very blessed and received all sorts of awesome kitchen appliances as gifts.... I may have gone a little crazy when we registered, but it was with the good intentions of becoming a better cook and using all of it.  Since we've been married, my goal has been to use at least one of the appliances each week. So, we've made ice cream, lots of rice, a couple slow cooked meals, waffles, pancakes, popcorn, and hot chocolate.  I'm not one of those girls that LOVES to cook and does it to relax, but occasionally it is fun, so we probably get a good home-cooked meal 2x/week and eat left overs and frozen crap the rest of the time.  I've tried lots of recipes from pinterest and Our Best Bites, as well as the cookbook my mom compiled of all of the dinners she used to make our family.  This week Nate and I made some lasagna better than you could imagine (it took forever though so we ate at about 9:30).  It is the recipe found here: REALLY GOOD LASAGNA.  The sauce has carrots, zucchini  and celery along with the tomatoes.

For my work we had a Thanksgiving lunch and I brought my mom's famous apple pie. The apples I used were already pretty sweet, so with the sugar, it masked that tangy tart taste that I love, but it was still pretty good.  It was fun to see what everyone at work brought. It showed that we don't just mix chemicals in the right ratios, but we can do it with food too!

For halloween we had a little dinner party with some people in the ward.  True to married people social life, we stayed in and hung out with other married people.  It was lots of fun.  We used dry ice in a cauldron to make the drinks and pumpkin bread bowl chili with orange cornbread.  (Not pumpkin flavored but dyed to look like pumpkins).  Our costumes were my grandparents old clothes and we played some games. We enjoyed getting to know some other couples in the ward more.

So election night was fun.  We don't have cable but had 3 different channels streaming online all night with the current electoral college count.  Per Nate's insistence, we stayed up all the way until Obama's speech was over, and yes, got the hugest kick out of #flaghairlady  standing right behind him.  The twitter posts were hilarious.  Can't say we weren't pleased with the outcome.

Snow has finally arrived, meaning the air that comes in from a broken window frame needs to be fixed, but also marking the beginning of ski season. Resorts are starting to open this week, so soon my family and I can drag Nate onto the hill and teach him what being a part of this family requires.  Can't say he's too pleased.  He WAS pleased however when he finally beat me in speed scrabble by two points, declaring himself king of scrabble.  (FYI: By finally I mean, we've played many MANY times, and he's never beat me until now.) <But I did declare that winner of the last game took all the glory BEFORE we even started playing-Nathan, King of Scrabble)>

So tonight was Young Woman in Excellence for our stake.  Our ward has very few girls, and even fewer motivated to do their own personal progress. It was like pulling teeth to get them to do even one thing to display for the table we had, but it was a good experience for the one girl that came.  It motivated me to put more focus on personal progress in lessons and activities in order to help them reach a point they might want to work on it by their own initiative.  I also loved how I was mistaken as a young woman by three people there. Nate said I should be flattered... I'm not.

Nate and I also got a membership at a local gym and it's been fun so far, it has a pool and racquetball courts to appease both of us. Last week we did a strength training circuit from Jillian Michaels (I'll let you guess if that was my idea or Nate's).  Neither of us could move for a few days, but it was fun <not the adjective I would use-King of Scrabble)>.  We'll see if I can ever get Nate to do another one of those :) I'll keep you posted


Comments

Popular Posts