Welcome to Miami, Bienvenido a Miami

Despite trying to minimize his trips, and all the complaints he gets from me when he goes out of town, Nate had to travel for work. I hate that this means I have to be a quasi single parent for a few days, but recently, we took advantage of his travels and made a getaway of it. He had a conference in Miami, so when it was over, I met him there. We visited Miami, the Everglades and the Florida Keys for a few days. (Thank goodness it was a few weeks before hurricane Matthew!)

Dad was packing up and Elliott wanted to go
Making friends on our flight to Miami, thank goodness this kind lady
was there to help me fly alone, it wasn't my first time,
but now that he is mobile, it was a bit more difficult.

Ready for his Argentine food
The Pope visited this place (he's from Argentina)
and said he liked the empanadas, SO DID WE!
Milanesa Napolitana... my favorite meal from the mission
The beginning of the trip started out a little rough- flying alone, and then having our planned rental car actually turn out to be a junker that smelled like cigarette smoke that we had to return, but once we had some legit Argentine empanadas, everything was great!! 

We saw the Wynwood Walls, an area of town where almost every building has a mural on it. We saw the Everglades, which was beautiful, especially at sunset. We went on a tour through the park and saw a few alligators and a beautiful view on the "Shark Valley" observation tower. It's apparently a valley because the west side of the park is at 9" elevation and the east side is at 4...aka it's very flat. 
At Wynwood Walls
Add caption
Should I be worried?
We really saw this, right on the side of the road!
The most interesting thing to see in the Everglades
for Elliott, inside Nate's mouth
At the Shark Valley Observation Tower
       


Nate was extremely prepared for the mosquito situation, especially because parts of Miami had been transmitting Zika before we arrived. He got a crib and stroller net, bug spray for every day, and this intense bug spray you put on clothes that stays on for months to repel mosquitos--we were ready! But it didn't keep us from being bit several times by the monstrosities in the park. We went on a five minute walk through some trees, and several mosquitos got inside the stroller net. Those bugs were crazy! Elliott was pretty scared when we started freaking out and smacking him to get them away, but he didn't get bit! 

The next day we left mosquito central and started our drive down the Florida Keys. We went snorkeling in marathon key, beaching, swimming, shopping, and to the turtle hospital. We loved driving the whole way and seeing all of the islands as we went. They said that the keys were easy to get to and hard to leave, and that was totally true! Nate doesn't like lime flavored stuff, but I had key lime pie every day because it was ubiquitous, and each time it was delicious! It was a great trip, and we are so glad we did it! 
Where we went Snorkeling

Elliott's first boat ride!

Legit fish tacos






SO MANY FISH

He LOVED swimming

At the turtle hospital, these were running around EVERYWHERE

Yes, an official turtle ambulance

NO RUNNING

Nate said this was a daddy and baby manatee...(right, dad, since Male manatees stick with their young :) *sarcasm)

My turtle tatt

Alligator tail is actually not too horrible when fried and breaded






 


Here in Boston we've also done some fun stuff too. I participated in an "Aquabike" which is a triathlon without the running. I would've done the whole thing, but for the past few months, I have been having pain in my feet that makes walking difficult, and running impossible. I think that is a pretty good excuse for not running, but I don't have any excuse whatsoever to have not swam or biked to train at all, but it was still fun to do, and harder than I thought it would be.  Man, post-partum Kathryn is not the same as she once was- I used to do triathlons and bike rides without training, no problem- I can kiss those days goodbye. Since I was the only woman doing the aquabike option, I got first place in my group! Yay for getting medals for being lazier than everyone else! 
FIRST PLACE (note the lack of a 2nd or 3rd)
When I left for Florida it was still pretty warm, but when we came back it had become true fall weather. Which I am ok with, because I love fall in New England. We had Columbus Day off and we went to celebrate in Columbus day park. Then Nate left town again, (so for a week I was a total wreck, when Nate came back home he was like, is this pizza box the same one that was here, on the floor, from before I left?... YUP). but I took work off early one day to join a bunch of the women in my ward in going on a hayride to the pumpkin patch. It is Elliott's first Halloween and we are pretty excited. Once our costume is perfected, there will be pics! 

HE LOVED THIS THING
    


Stair climbing



Columbus day adventures
PUMPKIN WAFFLES... YAY FALL FOOD
     

Lastly, We have a very important announcement!!! WE FINALLY put a deposit down on a puppy!  We are on a pretty long waiting list, so it may be several months, probably next summer, when we are able to take one home. It will be a mini goldendoodle! I've been working on Nathan for years to let us get one, he has always been okay with us getting a dog "one day" but trying to convince him that it needed to be now was difficult, but now he is totally on board, because it is going to be freaking adorable. 

I have waited a long time to just take an Elliott day off of work, since work has been pretty busy lately. I finally had a day where I had no pressing work to do in lab, and my boss was out of town, so I couldn't resist going to mommy playgroup and spending some extra quality time hanging with this cutie!







JAMMY TIME


Getting into trouble in the toilet
Just because he is so cute when he sleeps




Comments

Popular Posts